Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The comfort (gravy) train rumbles on

Yesterday was one of the first truly chilly days of the season (well, chilly for Southern California). The winds were pretty intense, and drivers were slipping about all over the roads.

It was a great day to be tucked up inside watching Red Dwarf dvds with Joe and the cat. It was also a great day for stew.

I had some leftover beef cubes, and with a little research decided to pay homage to Julia Child with a quick and easy version of bouef boeurginon, but with marsala wine for a little added kick, and cutting down signficantly on the four hour cooking time.

Here it is simmering away and looking autumnal. I threw in some mushrooms and some diced carrots and onions, along with a chopped potato on Joe's request (cue plaintive cry, 'it's not stew without potato!')



My helping with a little piece of bread



Joe's helping with lots o' bread



The stew was thick, rich and very filling. It very nearly cured the dessert craving, although I ended up having a Jello low fat pudding AND a handful of Joe's chocolate popcorn, because, well sometimes I am an unknowable enigma.

Bon appetit Julia!

1 comment:

  1. I ended up having a Jello low fat pudding AND a handful of Joe's chocolate popcorn, because, well sometimes I am an unknowable enigma. Online Bingo

    ReplyDelete