Saturday, October 31, 2009

The risotto virgin

Risotto is one of those dishes that I've always been a bit intimidated by. I like either quick dishes that are just stir and go, or something that I can plop in the oven and walk away. Watch Jeopardy. Put my feet up until the reassuring oven ping.

However, on Thursday night after a storming eight mile treadmill run I had some leftover chicken and mushrooms that were begging to be used up. I was thinking of a quick mushroom stroganoff, but got a pretty lukewarm response from the boyfriend. Lord knows that no man has final say over my kitchen, but I do my best to please all the people all the time, and so I dug out the Arborio rice decided to scale the risotto mountain.

Ran into a small snag half way through cooking when I realized I didn't have enough chicken stock to complete the recipe. At this point it was do or die, so I was forced to improvise. Luckily , I remembered that I had a lot of chicken noodle soups tucked away in the cupboard, so I ran them through the sieve, and voila - a few cans later I had a sodiumy, but perfectly acceptable substitute.

A LOT of stirring later, and no butter (pat on back), we had our first household risotto:



Broke out the his and hers blue and pink bowls for the occasion. So cute!



VERY filling. Consider the risotto mountain conquered!

No comments:

Post a Comment