Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Los Angeles classic...and Heart!

Joe and I timed our trip to the Greek Theater to see the legendary Heart in concert so that we could visit a favorite classic sandwich joint in downtown LA.



Philippes has the most AMAZING French dip sandwiches and so we went hungry, prepared for a feast. Before you even order your food, one of the coolest things about the visit is seeing the interior, which doesn't seem to have changed much since the early century.



Philippe's sandwiches use fresh French bread, dipped in homemade au jus from all the delicious roasting meats cooked onsite. You can order your bread single or double dipped for extra flavor and it's the most moist and delicious deli sandwich you can get in LA.

I ordered my favorite, lamb with a single dip, no cheese, and Joe went for a double dipped pork with swiss cheese. As a treat, we both ordered a slice of their homemade banana cream pie. None of these photographed too well, but trust me, they are incredible.

Best sandwich in downtown:


The full tray:


Close-up of the lamb (drool)


My philosophy on desserts is pretty simple. I was never much of a sweets girl, and while I'm trying to lose or maintain my weight, I rarely indulge. It's pretty obvious though that there are some times when it's acceptable, even vital to order pie. Or a brownie. Or ice cream. Usually when they are amazing/homemade/free and you would be a stupid person to turn them down. On these rare occasions, I go for it, and make a real effort not to beat myself up for it later.

Glamour shot of the pie:


(I had a glass of wine too, but NO moral issues there whatsoever. Bottoms up!)

We didn't leave a scrap of food.


Then it was on to Heart at the Greek for an amazing show. Ann Wilson's voice never fails to amaze me, even after all these years.


Our seats were pretty high up, but we managed some reasonable shots of Nancy and Ann. Rock on, ladies, rock on.


Then home and to bed in preparation for the 16 miler in the morning. Out like a light!

No comments:

Post a Comment